Sunday, October 5, 2008

Have you faced the new Asian tigers?

However, there’s another phenomenon that I believe is on the rise: racism by brown people against other brown people. Or let me put it differently: discrimination directed at Indians by Asians (Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, Kenyan Asians, etc.) who live abroad.

It could be a coincidence but almost the only times I’ve ever had trouble at Heathrow immigration is when there’s been an Asian manning the desk. My own visa status is slightly complicated. Though I have an Indian passport, I have right of residence in the UK because I was born in London. (via Have you faced the new Asian tigers? - Columnist - livemint.com).

Another Report from Times Of India states:

Overly zealous British home ministry officials are "humiliating, harassing and abusing" legal Indian and other migrants at airports across the country, a campaigning group said on Thursday.

"Though migrants are used to discrimination and harassment, these new revelations show how the treatment of legal immigrants by border control now has stooped to the lowest of levels," the Highly Skilled Migrants Programme (HSMP) Forum said in a statement.

IANS is a rather dubious agency which floated that hoax story about the Indian hacker some back. Vir Sanghvi can move from the sublime to bathos.

After reading these two together - I am beginning to wonder!

Worth a thought!

No comments: